[Xastir] a choice of formats

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 9 17:40:51 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:35:31AM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:20:57 -0700
> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:13:59PM +1100, we recorded a
> > bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
> > containing:
> > > I've got a choice of formats for CC licensed maps from Geoscience
> > > Australia.
> > > My advisor is on shift at present so can anyone advise which of the
> > > following freely available formats would be best to download?
> > >
> > >  ArcView shape file, May be imported into MapInfo, 1.58MB
> >
> > You will have to work on a "dbfawk" file to tell Xastir how to render
> > the lines, but this is the only format you listed that Xastir
> > supports directly.
> >
> > All of the other formats will have to be massaged into something else
> > to get Xastir to read it.
> >
> > A long time ago, there was an effort to get GDAL support into Xastir,
> > and if that were completed then almost all the formats you listed
> > would be supported.  But it was not completed.
> >

> Thanks Tom
> Yes, the arcview files are shown without complaint.
> The data is still going to need massaging, nothing less useful than a
> large number of crosses marked 'place name'.
> I'll be waiting on assistance from my son to look at the data

You will always need to create a dbfawk file for shapefiles that aren't
one of the standard set for which we provide dbfawk templates.  This is
the only way to tell Xastir how to do more than draw black lines and crosses
for polyline and point shapefiles.

There is a tutorial for how to do that on the Xastir wiki.