[Xastir] dbfawk queries

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Feb 10 21:48:44 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:18:55PM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:24:14 -0700
> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:31:45AM +1100, we recorded a
> > bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
> > containing:
> > > query 2
> > >
> > > no names are displayed
> >
> > Are you zoomed in closer than zoom level 2096?
>
> correction to previous reply
> place names are visible at zoom 128 and less

Interesting.  Your dbfawk seemed to have "label_level=2096" so I would have
thought that labels would not be drawn above zoom 2096, and would be below.

What will help you would probably be to run "testdbfawk" on your dbfawk
and shapefile.

Try:

  testdbfawk -f myshapefile.dbfawk -d myshapefile.dbf 2>&1 | less

where "myshapefile.dbfawk" is your dbfawk file and "myshapefile.dbf" is the
dbf file associated with your shapefile.  It should show you one line for
each shape in the shapefile, with all the variable settings that Xastir
would get.  Find a feature in the dbf file you think should get displayed
and look at testdbfawk's output to see what the label_level, color, fill_color,
etc. all are for that feature.  You can then fine-tune your dbfawk file until
your features have variable values that you expect them to have.

Using Xastir to do the roughing-out of dbfawk files can be frustrating, because
of how Xastir will use all those variable values.  It is not a task that
is optimized for the beginner (or at all).