[Xastir] dbfawk queries

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Feb 10 22:31:52 EST 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:48:44 -0700
Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:18:55PM +1100, we recorded a
> bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
> containing:
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:24:14 -0700
> > Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:31:45AM +1100, we recorded a
> > > bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
> > > containing:

> > > Are you zoomed in closer than zoom level 2096?
> >
> > correction to previous reply
> > place names are visible at zoom 128 and less
>
> Interesting.  Your dbfawk seemed to have "label_level=2096" so I
> would have thought that labels would not be drawn above zoom 2096,
> and would be below.
>
> What will help you would probably be to run "testdbfawk" on your
> dbfawk and shapefile.
>
> Try:
>
>   testdbfawk -f myshapefile.dbfawk -d myshapefile.dbf 2>&1 | less
>
> where "myshapefile.dbfawk" is your dbfawk file and "myshapefile.dbf"
> is the dbf file associated with your shapefile.  It should show you
> one line for each shape in the shapefile, with all the variable
> settings that Xastir would get.  Find a feature in the dbf file you
> think should get displayed and look at testdbfawk's output to see
> what the label_level, color, fill_color, etc. all are for that
> feature.  You can then fine-tune your dbfawk file until your features
> have variable values that you expect them to have.
>
> Using Xastir to do the roughing-out of dbfawk files can be
> frustrating, because of how Xastir will use all those variable
> values.  It is not a task that is optimized for the beginner (or at
> all).

Thanks for your attention.
The result of the placename query is
13 Columns,  12 Records in file
sig:
FEATTYPE:NAME:FEATREL:ATTRREL:PLANACC:SOURCE:CREATED:RETIRED:PID:SYMBOL:FEATWIDTH:ORIENTATN:TEXTNOTE
DBF Signatures match! name=YENDA, key=, symbol=, color=8, lanes=1,
filled=0, pattern=0, display_level=8192, font_size=2, label_level=8192
label_color=8
(all 12 records same result)

which provides no insight as to the failure of this place name to
display at levels >128 and =<8192

I have checked every .dbfawk in the directory to ensure I haven't left
any duplicate matches for DBF Signatures, but even that hasn't put
place names on my map.
Is there any setting in my Xastir config file which may influence this?