[Xastir] Simple program to inject APRS objects into APRS-IS

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 16 17:52:36 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 01:19:27PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was curious if anyone could recommend a simple program (binary, perl
> script, etc) that can inject APRS objects into APRS-IS?  I know Xastir
> supports this but I was looking for something lighter weight that can
> run when Xastir isn't running, be on headless machines, etc.

On Linux?  If you're running AX.25 networking, you can use "beacon" to
generate them.

My igate machine does just this:

beacon -t 10 -c KM5VY-3 -d "BEACON v RAVEN" aprs ";146.72-NM*111111z3459.19N/10620.70Wr146.720MHz T100 -060 R25m "

This creates an object that will be digi'd by RAVEN (and only that),
advertising the voice repeater that lives on the same tower as the RAVEN digi.
It'll beacon every 10 minutes (-t10) on the AX.25 network interface "aprs."

The "<tocall> v <digi>" syntax is not documented in the beacon man page.  I
just happened to stumble on a web site that mentioned it, and until then it
seemed as if there was no way to get it to beacon via a digi.

If you're not on Linux, you might crib off of William McKeehan's script that
injects posits:

http://mckeehan.homeip.net/amateurradio/APRS/aprstracker.htm

This script was meant to help him inject objects for events where a pre-defined
set of waypoints could be used to keep track of participants in a race ---
one simply enteres something to the effect of "participant N is at waypoint X"
and it creates (or moves) an object for participant N at the X waypoint.

There's stuff in there that will create objects for the waypoints themselves,
too.   You could mine this script for techniques to use in a simple script of
your own.