[Xastir] Simple program to inject APRS objects into APRS-IS

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sat Feb 16 18:41:27 EST 2013

> On Linux?  If you're running AX.25 networking, you can use "beacon" to
> generate them.

I am running AX.25 networking but I don't want to rely on a local
APRS-IS enabled digi to send this data as my radio might not be on.

> My igate machine does just this:
>
> beacon -t 10 -c KM5VY-3 -d "BEACON v RAVEN" aprs ";146.72-NM*111111z3459.19N/10620.70Wr146.720MHz T100 -060 R25m "
This reminds me... does anyone know of a good cheatsheet or APRS payload
calculator that can help me generate those APRS payloads? Being able to
use beacon is slick but I'm not going to even pretend I know how to
properly form those strings.

> The "<tocall>  v<digi>" syntax is not documented in the beacon man page.  I
> just happened to stumble on a web site that mentioned it, and until then it
> seemed as if there was no way to get it to beacon via a digi.
I think that's the old syntax. The manpage calls out:

-d Configure the destination callsign for beacons. The default is
“IDENT”. Optional: Digipeaters may follow, separated with spaces. Use -d
"DEST DIGI1 DIGI2 .."

> If you're not on Linux, you might crib off of William McKeehan's script that
> injects posits:
>
> http://mckeehan.homeip.net/amateurradio/APRS/aprstracker.htm
That's pretty slick and I'm going to try that out but it still requires
Xastir.

--David