[Xastir] Simple program to inject APRS objects into APRS-IS

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 16 20:29:32 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 03:41:27PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:
> > The "<tocall>  v<digi>" syntax is not documented in the beacon man page.  I
> > just happened to stumble on a web site that mentioned it, and until then it
> > seemed as if there was no way to get it to beacon via a digi.
> I think that's the old syntax. The manpage calls out:
>
> -d Configure the destination callsign for beacons. The default is
> ?IDENT?. Optional: Digipeaters may follow, separated with spaces. Use -d
> "DEST DIGI1 DIGI2 .."

Yep, I must have an old version on both of my igate machines, where the
man page says:

       -d              Configure the destination  callsign  for  beacons.  The
                       default is "IDENT".

No mention of digis.

> > If you're not on Linux, you might crib off of William McKeehan's script that
> > injects posits:
> >
> > http://mckeehan.homeip.net/amateurradio/APRS/aprstracker.htm
> That's pretty slick and I'm going to try that out but it still requires
> Xastir.

Not really - William wrote it to connect to Xastir's server port, but that's
just a simpler version of an APRS-IS server port.  Change the machine from
"localhost" and port from "2023" to point to an APRS-IS server and its
incoming port, and it'll work the same.