[Xastir] (no subject)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Jan 2 10:16:07 EST 2013

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013, David Flood wrote:

> Ah..a possible non-ham solution...I don't know if Xastir supports it but the
> server specifications state that a passcode of -1 should set someone up for
> read-only access.
>
> http://www.aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx

My experience is that no passcode was needed to read data from the
'full-feed' or 'fixed filter' ports, but for port 14580, the user-defined
filter port, the server wouldn't accept the filter string and begin
sending data until the callsign was authenticated.  Seemed strange at the
time, since the filter string command doesn't become part of the APRS-IS
stream, so there is no chance of it being gated to the air.  Possibly this
is the situation where a -1 is supposed to be used?
   Even with a passcode, If I specify a filter that is referenced to my
position, I still get no data if I set the interface to 'no transmit'.
That makes sense - it can't compute the filter if it doesn't know my
position.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX