[Xastir] Snapshot problems

happyexi happyexi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:17:22 EST 2013

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:12:02 -0800 (PST)
From: "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com>
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Snapshot problems

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, happyexi wrote:

> Snapshot problems : is there a way to take usable snapshot while using
> offline map (former snapshot of maps used as jpg?)
> I added a snapshot taken with offline maps, and the result is that i get
> an error can not convert to snapshot.xpm to snapshot.png.. as you can
> see in the file, it is distorted and not usable. The map is render
> un-reconaisebele.
As I recall there should be no difference whether you're using online or
offline maps, as far as the snapshots go.  If it's broken for one, it
should be broken for all.

The code is in src/maps.c:Snapshot(), and it uses the
XpmWriteFileFromPixmap() function call.  It also puts snapshot_thread()
into a new thread.  At top of that latter function are these comments:

// Create png image (for use in web browsers??).  Requires that "convert"
// from the ImageMagick package be installed on the system.  At the
// point this thread is started, the XPM file has already been
// created.  We now create a .geo file to go with the .png file.

-- Curt, WE7U. http://wetnet.net/~we7u Babysitting your tracker:
http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ControlOperator

********************
New post 04Jan2013 *
********************
Hi, the snapshot works for shape files, it is just when using the
offline snapshot files as maps it fails.

The erroro that xastir gives is as following:
'
/usr/bin/gm convert: Improper image header
(/home/USER/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm).
System call return error: convert: /home/USER/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm
-> /home/USER/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png
'
it seams to have too do with the fact that it dossn`t manage to make a
correct xpm file.. the files is there but it is as mention "broken".

I use the following "image shaper for my maps" (for lack of better wording.)

media-gfx/graphicsmagick
     Installed versions:  1.3.16-r1(18:50:53 01/04/13)(X bzip2 cxx fpx
jbig jpeg jpeg2k lcms modules openmp perl png q16 svg threads tiff
truetype wmf zlib -debug -imagemagick -lzma -postscript -q32 -static-libs

Testing I been testing this from xastir version 2.0.0.0 to 2.0.0.5
result is consistent, it do snapshot of shape files with out problem,
but as soon as I use old snapshot in my map directory and uses this as
map. (yes the map work flawless) I get a broken snapshot, I can take
snapshot using 'import' and grab the xastir window to a file. [but there
is many reason not to do this.. the main one, is that it will give black
screen-shot if screen-saver is on or a window is hiding the windows I am
grabbing...]

if you wounder usefalg for xastir = 'festival gdal geotiff graphicsmagick'

but during testing I been compiling it form source to get a real test.

if it helps I can send you mapfile and example of the broken and
unbroken file.

73 happyexi