[Xastir] libdb error?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jan 17 16:52:12 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 03:33:47PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kevin.paetzold at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> thanks for the urls to download the db tarballs.  i built both 4.2 and 4.8
> and installed (/usr/local) and the xastir ./configure did not recongnize
> them (internet map caching still says no).  i have not done any further
> debnugging (yet).

You probably have to tell configure to look in the appropriate place for
libdb and its headers.  On my mac, for example, in order to make it work I
have to use "--with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4" so that configure finds
where Fink put the BDB 4.8 header files.  There is also a "--with-bdb-libdir"
you can use to help it find the library.  On my BSD machine I have to use
"--with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/include/db42" and
"--with-bdb-libdir=/usr/local/lib".

So find where the 4.8 source code build installed its header files
(/usr/local/db48, perhaps?) and make sure to add the "--with-bdb-incdir"
switch to your configure invocation.  If it still doesn't work, look at
config.log and see if it's because it can't find the library or if it's
because it can't find the headers.  If it can't find the library, make sure to
add --with-bdb-libdir, too.

Remember that configure only searches directories that are in the C compiler's
(or linker's) search path, it doesn't scan your whole system for things.
When software is installed in odd locations, you have to help configure out.