[Xastir] libdb error?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 01:07:47 EST 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 03:33:47PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kevin.paetzold at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> thanks for the urls to download the db tarballs.  i built both 4.2 and 4.8
>> and installed (/usr/local) and the xastir ./configure did not recongnize
>> them (internet map caching still says no).  i have not done any further
>> debnugging (yet).
>
> You probably have to tell configure to look in the appropriate place for
> libdb and its headers.  On my mac, for example, in order to make it work I
> have to use "--with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4" so that configure finds
> where Fink put the BDB 4.8 header files.  There is also a "--with-bdb-libdir"
> you can use to help it find the library.  On my BSD machine I have to use
> "--with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/include/db42" and
> "--with-bdb-libdir=/usr/local/lib".
>
> So find where the 4.8 source code build installed its header files
> (/usr/local/db48, perhaps?) and make sure to add the "--with-bdb-incdir"
> switch to your configure invocation.  If it still doesn't work, look at
> config.log and see if it's because it can't find the library or if it's
> because it can't find the headers.  If it can't find the library, make sure to
> add --with-bdb-libdir, too.
>
> Remember that configure only searches directories that are in the C compiler's
> (or linker's) search path, it doesn't scan your whole system for things.
> When software is installed in odd locations, you have to help configure out.

Got the sources tweaked to handle libdb-5.0 through 5.3.  I tested it with a source compile of 5.3.21, which installed into /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/ on my system.

To disable my 4.x libraries I removed the libdb-4_8-devel package, then went to /usr/lib64/ and disabled the two libs I had:

   chmod 000 libdb-4.3.so libdb-4.8.so

After that, configure couldn't find libdb anymore.

I tweaked the Xastir sources to search for 5.x libdb versions.

Ran this:

   ./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/lib64 --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/include

and then "make"

Then to test the new Xastir running:

   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/lib64:{$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}; ~/xastir/src/xastir -c /home/archer/.xastir2

It worked.

Of course I then fixed the permissions on my 4.3 and 4.8 libs and reinstalled the -devel package.  All is back to normal now.

So...  CVS now has the fixed Xastir which should work with Berkeley DB 4.0 through 5.3.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...