[Xastir] Suggestion

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Fri Jan 25 23:00:22 EST 2013

I too am interested in helping. Unfortunately I'm starting from a lower level than most of your other choices. I would need someone who could answer things like where to start looking for certain parts so I don't have to try and read the entire code set. Kinda need a roadmap.

Several others offered comments about other APRS products. While that is well and good and worth knowing, almost all my computing is done on either a Mac or a RPi. I stay far away from Windows products as much as possible. I do own two Windows laptops, but they are reserved for special purposes. So I need a solution that works on either or both of Mac and/or RPi. I love Xastir because it can be made to work on both, and looks and works the same on both.

I have mentioned part of my plan. The other is to put a RPi in the main vehicle (Dodge Ram 1500) which can be used to hopefully track multiple stations. One solution offered was to have multiple windows. This might be reasonable on a larger monitor, but on the small (5"-7") screens I'm planning on using it would be even more difficult than with a single window (which is already difficult).

I was having trouble getting aprs.fi to work under Midori (the default browser installed on the Occidentalis distro). I've had more success in the past 24 hours using Chromium.

If someone can send me a roadmap of the code files, what's where and how it's tied. Then I'll start looking to see if I can determine what to put where.

Thanks all.

On Jan 25, 2013, at 14:33, Jason Godfrey wrote:

> I'm willing to help develop for xastir. How much spare time I have varies wildly, but I have some. I could give this feature a try.
>
> If xastir-ng isn't dead like I thought, I could help with that as well/instead.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn