[Xastir] map failure

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 12:31:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, Rein wrote:

> I have Xastir running in Ubuntu 10.04 (compiled from source), complete with
> OSM_Cloudmade maps.
>
> I have just compiled Xastir in Ubuntu 12.04 and seem to be unable to get the
> maps loaded.
> Error (on teminal) is the following:
>
> ***** WARNING *****
> Berkeley DB header files/shared library file do NOT match!
> Disabling use of the map cache.
> Header file: Berkeley DB 4.8.30: (April  9, 2010)
> Library file: Berkeley DB 5.1.25: (January 28, 2011)
> ***** WARNING *****

1) Hah!  That code saves another one!  If it didn't catch that problem then it's likely all of Xastir would crash the first time you used the older style map caching (used for Shapefiles for one).

If you want to fix the Berkeley DB problem, install the same version of Berkeley library as the -devel package (headers) that Xastir was compiled for and get rid of others that aren't a match.  A mis-match in those during runtime can cause Xastir to fall over due to constant changes in the Berkeley DB programming interface.  Check your installed packages and remove/update/downgrade until you have a match between them.

2) That however is not your issue with not being able to load maps.  Not sure what is.  Do you have any other indications at the console?

If you type:  "xastir -?" you'll see the list of command-line switches.  In there is a debug level setting ("-v").  You can start up Xastir like this:

     xastir -v 4095 2>&1 >xastir.log

Then open up another xterm and do:

     tail -f xastir.log

You'll see the debug messages zip by as you try things.  Try loading maps and see what it says.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Device Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_device_capabilities.html