[Xastir] More Kubuntu 13 map problems

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 16:19:23 EDT 2013

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Jim Shorney wrote:

> I had been running Kubuntu 12 x64 on a dual core i5 Asus laptop, and things
> were working pretty well with Graphicsmagick. So I did an update to Kubuntu
> 13.04,  and now my OSM maps won't work. I cvs-ed the latest code and
> recompiled, no difference with the latest 2.0.5. Good old Tiger maps still
> work. The worldhi map still works. I can see it "Downloading tiles..." in the
> lower left corner when I change the view. I can find the OSMtiles folder and
> see and view PNGs timestamped this evening.
>
> This doesn't seem to match the scenarios I have found in the list archive. No
> Berkeley errors, I switched to Graphicsmagick to resolve earlier issues, etc.
> The only clue I have is these messages in the terminal window when I run Xastir
> and do stuff:
>
> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
>
> Of course, I don't know what to make of it. I know the gurus will ask me for
> more information. Just tell me what you need, I will get it.

Half the fun is figuring out which version of GM or IM (IM being most common) is broken on any particular OS.

Does it say you're using IM or GM in Xastir's Help->About?

It's possible that when you recompiled, it couldn't find the -devel package for GM and so compiled in IM.  Or vice-versa.

In any case, check, then add the proper -devel packages and libraries and re-compile.  9 chances out of 10 that will fix your problem.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS in Search and Rescue:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/search_and_rescue.html