[Xastir] More Kubuntu 13 map problems

Jim Shorney jshorney at inebraska.com
Mon Jun 24 16:17:07 EDT 2013

Here are the last few lines of the make operation. Any clues there?

gcc  -g -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused-parameter -pthread -Wl,--no-keep-memory -L/usr/lib -fPIE -pie -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal -o xastir alert.o awk.o bulletin_gui.o color.o datum.o db.o db_gis.o dbfawk.o draw_symbols.o fcc_data.o festival.o fetch_remote.o geo-find.o geocoder_gui.o gps.o hashtable.o hashtable_itr.o hostname.o igate.o interface.o interface_gui.o io-common.o io-mmap.o lang.o list_gui.o locate_gui.o location.o location_gui.o main.o maps.o map_cache.o map_dos.o map_gdal.o map_geo.o map_gnis.o map_OSM.o map_pop.o map_pdb.o map_shp.o map_tif.o map_tiger.o map_WMS.o messages.o messages_gui.o objects.o popup_gui.o rac_data.o rotated.o rpl_malloc.o shp_hash.o snprintf.o sound.o tile_mgmnt.o track_gui.o util.o view_message_gui.o wx.o wx_gui.o x_spider.o xa_config.o compiledate.o -Lrtree -lrtree  -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lGraphicsMagick -ljbig -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper -ljpeg -lpng12 -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -llzma -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm -lgomp -lpthread -ldb-5.1 -lrt -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext -lm -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lcurl -lproj -lshp -lpcre -ltiff -lgeotiff -lax25 -lgdal
/usr/bin/ld: alert.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
alert.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[3]: *** [xastir] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/nu0c/src/xastir/build/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nu0c/src/xastir/build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nu0c/src/xastir/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:24:00 -0500, Jim Shorney wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, Curt.

>Help>About says I have GM 1.3.16. Interestingly, the package manager says I
>have 1.3.18 (or, 1.3.18-Q16-2dhor-raring in Debian-speak). The -dev package
>matches in the package manager and is installed. The only IM stuff installed
>was imagemagick-common. It has now been purged.

>It would be my luck that mine would be contrary to everone else and I need to
>dump GM and install IM. Whatever. I'll poke around and see if I can figure out
>where GM is version confused.

>Berkeley is 5.1.29-5ubuntu8, if anyone is interested. No errors there that I
>can see.

>73

>-Jim
>NU0C

>On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:19:23 -0700 (PDT), Curt, WE7U wrote:

>>On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Jim Shorney wrote:
>>
>>> I had been running Kubuntu 12 x64 on a dual core i5 Asus laptop, and things
>>> were working pretty well with Graphicsmagick. So I did an update to Kubuntu
>>> 13.04,  and now my OSM maps won't work. I cvs-ed the latest code and
>>> recompiled, no difference with the latest 2.0.5. Good old Tiger maps still
>>> work. The worldhi map still works. I can see it "Downloading tiles..." in the
>>> lower left corner when I change the view. I can find the OSMtiles folder and
>>> see and view PNGs timestamped this evening.
>>>
>>> This doesn't seem to match the scenarios I have found in the list archive. No
>>> Berkeley errors, I switched to Graphicsmagick to resolve earlier issues, etc.
>>> The only clue I have is these messages in the terminal window when I run Xastir
>>> and do stuff:
>>>
>>> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
>>> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
>>> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
>>> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
>>> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
>>> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
>>>
>>> Of course, I don't know what to make of it. I know the gurus will ask me for
>>> more information. Just tell me what you need, I will get it.
>>
>>Half the fun is figuring out which version of GM or IM (IM being most common) is broken on any particular OS.
>>
>>Does it say you're using IM or GM in Xastir's Help->About?
>>
>>It's possible that when you recompiled, it couldn't find the -devel package for GM and so compiled in IM.  Or vice-versa.
>>
>>In any case, check, then add the proper -devel packages and libraries and re-compile.  9 chances out of 10 that will fix your problem.

>--
>The universe we're in will reach absolute zero in three hours. Safe is relative. - Idris, "The Doctor's Wife"

“There’s something out of place – let’s go and poke it with a stick.” – The Doctor, "Amy’s Choice"