[Xastir] Munin plugin now available for Xastir

Robert Kilian robertkilian at ostechnologies.net
Mon Mar 11 16:38:31 EDT 2013

After dedicating aPC (running Fedora and Xastir 2.x) as a full time
Igate at mystation last year, I thought it might be helpful to have away
to getan "at a glance" picture of local APRS trafficwithout having to go
through thelogs manually.  For that, I turned to
Munin(http://munin-monitoring.org), which graphs various resource trends
(CPU & RAMusage, network stats, disk I/O, etc) and is quite easy to
extend via a plugin architecture (and was also already in place on the
PC in my station). For instance, it's now very easy to see if there are
any issues with RF RX/TX or Internet connectivity, or if there is an
higher- or lower-than-normal amount of traffic being passed through my
station (an indication to at least take a peek at the logs).

The plugin monitors packets gated from RF->Net, messageRX/TX, packets
RX/TX on the 'Net side, and packets RX/TX on the RF side.

As thepluginwas recently accepted into the Munin contrib repository
onGitHub Ithought I'd announce it here and hope that others will find it
useful(and perhaps extend/improve it, asit's surely not perfect).

You can find the plugin here(contributed plugins don't ship with the
core Munin package):
https://github.com/munin-monitoring/contrib/blob/master/plugins/xastir/xastir

Rob Kilian
K6RBK