[Xastir] Xastir shutting down prematurely

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 15:24:23 EDT 2013

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013, John Wilson wrote:

> Not that I haven't seen it before but being this was a newly built
> computer, I really didn't want to accept that I had acquired failed parts
> in this brand new machine.
>
> I stopped the last thing I initiated in Xastir.
>
> Igate interface.
>
> It has been 18 hours since I stopped it and it has not shut down. Is there
> a buffer setting for Igate traffic in Xastir?

Nope.  It just uses the last-heard-on-rf times for any particular station to decide whether to gate the traffic to RF.

More than likely Xastir's memory image is growing over time just 'cuz of the station list and the associated data for each station.  Once it grows enough you might be heading over to another bit of memory that has issues.  You can minimize that by running filters on your INET connections to limit the number of stations you're receiving.

You might run a memtest for a while to see if it's truly a memory problem.  That's the quickest way to figure it out.  If it's not in your boot menu, many of the install DVD's have it.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html