[Xastir] Debian Binary availability ?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:40:21 EDT 2013

I think Tony needs a binary that will work in Debian Wheezy (testing
branch).  I don't have a binary for that, but I did build Xastir from
source back in September in Wheezy.  Below is what I found to work at
that time.  There is also one addition - do not install the proj
package.  Either I missed that in September or it was still there back
then.  The proj package is no longer found in the latest version of
Ubuntu, either.  If you don't need geotiff map support, you can skip
the part about installing libgeotiff from source.

To build Xastir from a recent CVS download in Debian Wheezy, follow
the Ubuntu 12.04 instructions at
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.04 with the following exceptions:

- install libdb5.1-dev instead of libdb4.8-dev
- do not install proj (there is no longer a package by that name)
- do not install libgeotiff-dev (if you want geotiff, install it from
source via the next steps)
- Download libgeotiff 1.4 at
http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.0.tar.gz
- Extract the tarball, which creates a subdirectory named libgeotiff-1.4.0.
- Open a terminal in the subdirectory above and issue the following commands:
     ./configure
      make
      su
      <enter root password>
      make install
      ldconfig
      exit

Lastly when you build Xastir, do not use the
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff" option when executing Xastir's
configure script.  That option is meant for the libgeotiff package in
the Debian repository that is not installed here.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT