[Xastir] GeoTIFF

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 17 20:17:46 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 04:37:44PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <esarfl at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I'm trying to get a raster image displayed as a map in Xastir and
> apparently missing a step. I georeferenced with QGIS by following this
> tutorial:

[...]
> I've now got a .tif in /usr/local/share/maps/. Xastir indicates that
> GeoTIFF is compiled in, but after re-indexing maps, the new map is not
> listed in the map chooser.

> Band 1 Block=1871x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
> Band 2 Block=1871x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
> Band 3 Block=1871x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

This shouldn't stop the map from showing up in the chooser, but if it *did*
show up it wouldn't work.

See README.MAPS under "XASTIR can only use GeoTIFF files that are 8-bit per
pixel with one band".  You'll need to uglify the colors down to 8 bit
pseudocolor with rgb2pct.py.

As for why it isn't showing in the chooser, is the file in fact readable by
the UID under which Xastir is running?   Any messages on console while
re-indexing?  Any chance that reindexing didn't actually catch this one
due to file modification times?  Did "Re-index ALL maps?" do it?

BTW, I'm here in Fort Collins for graduation weekend, though my APRS rig is
currently off.  Might have the odd moment or two to meet f2f if you can't
get it figured out yourself.