[Xastir] GeoTIFF

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun May 19 22:57:25 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> See README.MAPS under "XASTIR can only use GeoTIFF files that are 8-bit per
> pixel with one band".  You'll need to uglify the colors down to 8 bit
> pseudocolor with rgb2pct.py.

Ah, that's disappointing. I hadn't noticed that. I don't want to
uglify my map, so I'll have to choose a different format to allow
Xastir to display it. Any suggestions? I thought GeoTIFF was the best
practice ad-hoc raster map format for Xastir.

> As for why it isn't showing in the chooser, is the file in fact readable by
> the UID under which Xastir is running?   Any messages on console while
> re-indexing?  Any chance that reindexing didn't actually catch this one
> due to file modification times?  Did "Re-index ALL maps?" do it?

Permissions... good idea. This seems to be the most common solution
for any problem in the list archives. Here's what I had:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 5610136 May 16 15:53 ElbeHills.tif

...and a chown to my user has solved it! It is now indexed. Why did
the ownership matter if it was already world readable?

> BTW, I'm here in Fort Collins for graduation weekend, though my APRS rig is
> currently off.  Might have the odd moment or two to meet f2f if you can't
> get it figured out yourself.

I've moved back to good ol' CN87 (Hi, Curt). Maybe the f2f thing can
happen at DCC 2013!

Tom KD7LXL