[Xastir] Xastir on the Raspberry Pi

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:00:28 EST 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Max Harper wrote:

> I have also been reading a little about AX.25 and at some point I think I would like to have Xastir and APRX both running using AX.25. It's my understanding that AX.25 makes the connection to the APRS-IS and the two applications would use that connection, correct? Or is AX.25 only for the TNC to be shared and each application still makes its own connection to the
>  APRS-IS?  Do packets also get passed between the two applications ? What about when one application sends a packet to
>  the TNC, does it also come back in to the other application? I'm trying to get the big picture here as to how all this works
>  together.

Ok, I'll take a stab at the rest of your questions Tom didn't cover.

AX.25 is not used for the APRS-IS connection.  It's used when talking to a TNC that is in KISS mode.  Or a soundcard device set up as a KISS port.

What AX.25 will allow you to do is share a port across multiple bits of software.

I'm not sure about the packets sent from one app to the TNC being seen by other apps.  Perhaps.  Give it a shot and see.

As far as multiple connections to the APRS-IS servers:  If you run your own server locally, you can connect it to the APRS-IS, then connect all your other apps to your local server.

Xastir does have server ports that you can enable, but they're not the full-service ports you'd find an JavaAprsServer or similar.  They're good for hooking multiple Xastir's together, possibly feeding off the same APRS-IS connection, but don't provide filtering.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
   "Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math." - unknown