[Xastir] Xastir on the Raspberry Pi

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 22:31:35 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> APRX can do several things including to inject APRS Objects into the
> Internet relm as well can also inject Objects,  digipeat, etc on the RF
> side but doesn't display any of that data on a map.  Xastir can also do
> these same things but it can also support GPSes and can show interactive
> maps of heard APRS posits.  Arguably, Xastir can do everything APRX can do
> and a lot more but it requires a lot more system resources.

Actually Xastir as an IGate does not quite meet all of the criteria
documented at http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.asp<http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx>x.
 The last time I played with APRX, it had a few holes in its IGating
functionality as well.  That may have changed by now because APRX has had
several updates since I last used it.

I've been using DIXPRS as an IGate for over a year, and more recently moved
it to a Raspberry Pi.  I am also running ldsped on the Pi in order to
provide an AGW interface for APRS applications running on other computers
on the home network.  DIXPRS and ldsped are both sharing the TNC via AX25
networking on the Pi.  Ldsped provides an AGW interface so that software
like Xastir can run on a different, beefier machine.  APRX and ldsped could
also co-exist on a Pi using AX25 networking for those who prefer APRX.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT