[Xastir] Xastir on the Raspberry Pi

KF4LVZ kf4lvz at acarver.net
Mon Nov 18 04:35:38 EST 2013

On 11/17/2013 22:35, Max Harper wrote:
> Well, I was trying to use Xastir along with ax25 on the Raspberry Pi. I was able to get ax25 running and could see aprs packets using axlisten and mheard. In Xastir I added an interface for ax25 and tried to bring it up. In the syslog I have this error message.
>
> kernel: [  733.415193] xastir uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
>
> I used apt-get install xastir and it shows verion 2.0.0.  Anyone know if this has been fixed in the latest version? It may not matter because at this point I don't know to compile in Linux, just wondering it it has been fixed.
>
> And the problem with kissattach causing the wireless connection to drop does seem to be caused by wpa_supplicant.
>
> wpa_action: WPA_IFACE=wlan0 WPA_ACTION=DISCONNECTED
> wpa_action: WPA_ID=0 WPA_ID_STR= WPA_CTRL_DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> wpa_action: ifdown wlan0
>
> ifplugd(ax0)[2391]: client: Ignoring unknown interface ax0=ax0
>
> When I tried to bring up wlan0 manually I get...
>
> sudo ifup wlan0
> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_cli daemon failed to start
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1

No, it's not wpa_supplicant, it's a script called wpa_action that is
forcing your wireless interface to shut down.  The use of kissattach is
triggering this wpa_action script which then shuts down your interface.
 You need to follow the rabbit trail and figure out what kissattach is
calling on your system, then see where that eventually calls wpa_action
to force the shutdown.  Once you can find that, you can stop it from
happening.  You are not able to bring up wlan0 manually most likely
because wpa_action rewrites some configurations.

The wpa_action script is from Debian (it's not normal and sometimes I
really don't understand why Debian obfuscates a lot of stuff).  It's
being called by the ifplugd daemon which is watching interfaces go up
and down.  Apparently it considers your ax25 port in conflict with your
wlan0 port which is why it's being brought down.

Post your /etc/network/interfaces file and we'll see what we can figure
out with your interface.  That one file dictates a lot of this behavior.