[Xastir] Fw: Compiling Xastir in a Raspberry Pi

Max Harper kg4pid at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 17:41:58 EST 2013

This is the sixth time I've tried to send this message.

Lee, does your script compile xastir to use AX25? I ran your script last night and it all worked except when I try to use an interface of AX25, and start it, I get this error message in the syslog "Igate2 kernel: [  156.010994] xastir uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)"

On a different RasPi I have APRX
 using ax25 with no issues. I received this same error when trying to use the version of xastir that "apt-get install xastir" downloads which is version 2.0.0.

When I ran your script I used a fresh copy of the latest image for the RasPi dated 9-25-13.

When John Gorkos finishes his changes and post an update I was going to try his version and see if there is any difference.

Thanks Max KG4PID

Hello to the list members.

Similar to what has been provided previously via the installation notes at
http://www.xastir.org for Ubuntu, etc., I have posted a shell script for
automating the process of downloading dependent packages, retrieving Xastir
source code from CVS, and compiling & installing Xastir.

>From a terminal in the Raspberry Pi, the shell script can be retrieved as follows:

wget http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

Next make sure the script is executable using the following command:

chmod +x raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

Then execute the script as follows:

./raspbian-xastir-cvsbuild.sh

When the script finishes, you should have a compiled and installed version
of Xastir fresh from the CVS respository.  I didn't bother installing
either geotiff or gdal with the script, but "everything else" was included.

If you already have a directory named src/xastir under your home
 directory,
I would rename it before executing the script.  The script worked for me -
I have a working and very up to date copy of Xastir on the Pi after
executing it.

The Pi is not a speed burner, so the whole
 process will definitely
 take
some time, and of course an Internet connection is needed in order for the
script to download Xastir and its dependencies.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT