[Xastir] Maps are downloading, but not displaying

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:17:41 EDT 2013

I've compiled xastir 2.0.4 from source with just about every dependency
installed (IOW, configure runs happily without any complaints except that
shapefile support will be built into the xastir binary). I'm not using
festival either, but that doesn't bother me (and I don't see how it could
possibly impact the issue I'm having). This is on a 32-bit
slackware-current system.

When I run xastir, I see this:

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
    ENOENT ERROR
Wed Oct 16 21:32:01 EDT 2013:
    Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail

Wed Oct 16 21:32:02 EDT 2013:
    Interface Error!  Error opening interface 1 Hard Fail

TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGB

[...]

It then repeats the "TBD: I don't think..." line indefinitely at odd
intervals.

Something I read (I think it was a bug report on the xastir Sourceforge
site) said that the colorspace alert was coming from GraphicsMagick, so I
tried compiling after passing "--without-graphicksmagic" to the configure
script to see if that changed anything. It didn't.

I can see that OpenStreetmap map files *are* being downloaded to
~/.xastir/map_cache/, they're just not displaying.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks.

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com