[Xastir] Maps are downloading, but not displaying

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 17 10:18:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 09:17:41AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <paulburton0 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGB
>
> [...]
>
> It then repeats the "TBD: I don't think..." line indefinitely at odd
> intervals.
>
> Something I read (I think it was a bug report on the xastir Sourceforge
> site) said that the colorspace alert was coming from GraphicsMagick, so I
> tried compiling after passing "--without-graphicksmagic" to the configure
> script to see if that changed anything. It didn't.

The alert is coming from the code that processes the ".geo" format, which
requires either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick.

I have seen a lot of people say they are having this problem, but I have
*never* seen it myself.  I have no idea what the cause is.  It is probably not
an issue that should require disabling GraphicsMagick (i.e. for which you need
ImageMagick instead), because honestly ImageMagick tends to be so bleeding-edge
that its updates often break Xastir until a devloper has time to rebug the
code.  More often, IM is a problem and you need to use GM instead.  If
both are on your system, Xastir's configure will prefer GM if it can use it,
precisely because of this ImageMagick instability issue.  But that might
be a red herring here.

I have been using GraphicsMagick with the online map "osm-tiled-mapnik.geo"
for years and have no such problem.  So far, we haven't found any solid
information that points us to why anyone's getting this message, so haven't
been able to address it --- some folks report seeing this error message even
with GM and the tiled-mapnik map, but none of the developers see it.  Maybe
you can help in it down.

What online map are you using?  Does the problem also show up with
"osm-tiled-mapnik.geo"?

Which version of ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick are you using?  Which of those
does configure say it's actually using?

What does "gm version" and "Magick-config --version" report?