[Xastir] (OT Perhaps) Hear packets thru soundcard; Soundmodemconfig diagnostics show nothing

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 08:25:50 EDT 2013

I'm trying to get xastir working with soundmodem (in KISS mode). I
finally seem to have the mixer and inputs configured properly so that
when I issue the command arecord|aplay I can hear the packets coming in
from my radio. However, when I run soundmodemconfig and look at
Diagnostics (Scope, Spectrum, Modem), I see a very slight undulation (or
lots of 1's and 0's in "Modem"), but never anything that looks like real
packets or even background noise. Also, when I launch xastir, I don't
seem to be getting any packets through (nothing on the map, nothing in
the raw packet feed window).

If I can clearly hear audio coming through the soundcard, why wouldn't
soundmodem "hear" it too?

For what it's worth, when I was struggling with getting alsamixer
configured to enable to correct inputs and set levels, and I was having
problems with distortion and poor audio quality, I *could* see the
diagnostic tools in soundmodemconfig responding to the trashy audio, so
I think everything is properly "hooked up." Of course, now that the
audio problems are ironed out, soundmodemconfig doesn't appear to be
receiving the audio.

Paul Burton paulburton0 at gmail.com