[Xastir] Fwd: Maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 17:06:00 EDT 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Michael Gregory wrote:

>  I just set up linux mint 15 and downloaded Xastir 2.0. When I enable Auto maps and disable "Auto Map - Disable Raster Map" The program goes to the web and downloads the map for my area,?over and over and over and?..
>
> It acts as though it is indexing and reading from one file location, and storing the maps somewhere else.
>
> The software will display the correct map, but keeps downloading it repeatedly.
>
> How can I get it to index and store properly and then use the local map?

I didn't see anyone else respond yet.  Thanks for going through the trouble to get on the list.  Getting answers from now on should be easier 'cuz you have access to the hundreds of subscribers here to ask questions of.

I'm curious whether you may have had an earlier Xastir installed before you installed 2.0.  There was a change a while back to where some things were stored.

If you haven't done much configuration since the install, you might consider stopping Xastir, then deleting the ~/.xastir directory completely.  Start Xastir up again and it will re-create it for you.  Of course all of your settings will be gone.  See if that fixes your map download problem though.  Here are the commands:

     Stop Xastir
     cd
     rm -rf .xastir
     Start Xastir up again

A slightly less drastic measure (keeping a backup of your configs) would be to do this:

     Stop Xastir
     cd
     mv .xastir .xastir.save
     Start Xastir up again

This will do the same as previously described but you can go look at ~/.xastir.save/config/xastir.cnf to see what your previous settings were.  You can also delete the new directory and rename the save directory back to the original if you wish.  Like this:

     Stop Xastir
     cd
     rm -rf .xastir
     mv .xastir.save .xastir
     Start Xastir up again

Please try one of the first two sets of commands and let us know if it fixes your problem.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS:  Where it's at!        http://www.xastir.org