[Xastir] Maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 14:39:00 EDT 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> You haven't mentioned what sort of raster graphics you're interested in yet.
> I would recommend using the OSM maps as a first step, which are vector maps
> from the OpenStreetMaps project.  Xastir can use OSM maps directly w/o having
> to download them manually onto your hard drive, but if you want local maps
> for driving or portable use, download the Cloudmade OSM Shapefile Extracts
> instead.
>
> Once you have that working well, there are other OSM maps that are raster
> tiles.  There are USGS DRG geoTIFF maps (one of my favorites) for topo maps.
> There are USGS DOQQ aerial maps.  Just let us know what you're interested in
> and I'll bet someone on here can point you to them.

I was also going to mention:  If you can find raster maps out there that come with INF files, the Xastir project has the "inf2geo.pl" script that can create a .GEO file out of it.  You must have GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick installed, plus Perl, in order to use it.  Might give you a bunch more possibilities.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/