[Xastir] Maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 16:11:21 EDT 2013

On Tue, 21 Oct 2013, Michael Gregory wrote:

>  I did use synaptic. and it got me version 2.0.0. The issue is getting nice maps that I can use off line. not which version I have or how I came to get it.

Well, the reason people ask about version is that there are sometimes very important bug-fixes that go in.  2.0.0 is quite old now and relatively buggy compared to 2.0.4 (latest release) or 2.0.5 (latest CVS development version).

As you send each message our picture of what you want gets slightly higher resolution...  Now I know you're after off-line maps!

Aerial, street, or topo?

For street, use the Cloudmade OSM Shapefile Extracts.

For topo, I'd recommend either the OSM topos (are there offline versions of that?) or the USGS DRG geoTIFF's.

Anyone have other recommendations?

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/