[Xastir] HOWTO

Chris N9JCA n9jca at wowway.com
Sat Sep 28 19:47:21 EDT 2013

I for one have never been impressed with Ubuntu, and have seen more
questions asked as to HOWTO than any other Distro

There are 2 good HOWTO's in the Xastir Wiki: Maps and svn (if you don't
mind a bit of hacking) and make sure you install the -dev & libs
dependencies or the programme won't build right.

I have tried Debian,Linuxmint, Fedora, and Ubuntu (this is my order of
preference) but always come back to Debian "Proper" Right now I am
running Debian Testing (jessie) and have had no probs with any of the
Ham Radio Programmes that I run Not to offend anyone, but my suggestion
is to ditch Ubuntu and use Debian "proper" Tom has the right idea too,
as he stays with the LTD versions (this is the only good thing I have to
say about Ubuntu)

If you do download Debian,take the testing net-install AMD64 it will
also load onto an i386 machine; just have to change the microcode to
_intel_ during the setup it's only 250MB and can be put on a mini DVD It
is using the 3.10 Kernel

If anyone needs help installing and getting Debian to work, I'm more
than happy to help out; Off Group,Skype "n9jca--chris" or Pidgin (Y
Messenger) "n9jca" Just the other day I helped a friend in Canada via
Skype and we had Debian up and running in 2 1/2-3hrs we even put xastir
onto their laptop which they are running with a Kenwood 710 in a semi truck

Just my 2np worth

Chris N9JCA EM68fb