[Xastir] HOWTO

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 21:23:04 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:47:21 +0000
> Chris N9JCA <n9jca at wowway.com> wrote:
>
> > Not to offend anyone, but my suggestion
> > is to ditch Ubuntu and use Debian "proper" Tom has the right idea
> > too, as he stays with the LTD versions (this is the only good thing I
> > have to say about Ubuntu)
>

> Debian is constructed in a way which allows incremental upgrading, or
> massive upgrading, but neither requires a reinstall.
> Ubuntu is not constructed the same way, so the intention of their
> developers is that you do a reinstall of Ubuntu when you wish to
> upgrade. Of course, some can manipulate their installs and upgrade
> Ubuntu, but it takes additional expertise.

I have two computers on Ubuntu 13.04 that started out on 12.04.  Both were
upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 and from 12.10 to 13.04 without re-installing,
and it was a relatively painless process - just answered a few prompts.
 Googling the upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, it looks rather involved by
comparison.

I used Debian for quite a while, but I got tired of the Iceweasel web
browser lagging far behind Firefox among other things.  I agree with the
approach of staying with the LTS releases of Ubuntu.  The only reason I
didn't stay with 12.04 was due to the Grub2 menu that accumulated
extraneous entries for each kernel that was ever used.  Starting in 12.10
the Grub2 menu gets cleaned up automatically when there's a kernel update.
 I don't like upgrading every 6 months, however, so I intend to stay on
14.04 for a long once I get there.

I've written many of the HowTo's for installing Xastir in both Debian and
Ubuntu, and quite frankly, they are so similar that it's hard to believe
that the reason there are more questions on installing Xastir in Ubuntu is
because it's more difficult in Ubuntu.  I would say it's because there are
more people using Ubuntu than Debian.

I used Linux Mint Debian for a while, which is supposedly a rolling
release, but an update broke things beyond repair, so I eventually replaced
it with Debian Squeeze (at that time Squeeze was the stable version).

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT