[Xastir] Quickie Feature Request. Might be an easy one?

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 3 13:29:46 EDT 2014

Hi,

  Was wondering about a feature where one or more NMEA serial streams could be monitored.  Currently Xastir will only consider one stream and that is what is used for the base "station" position.  There are some other tracking options in the 33cm ISM band that telemeter the NMEA words to a receiver like a connected USB (or B/T) GPS.  There isn't a straight forward way for Xastir to deal with that.
One can use the GPS input with Xastir to monitor the remote tracked station but then the ability to monitor one's "true" position is lost.
There is an NMEAtoAPRS python script but again there are limitations.
  An option for Xastir to monitor another NMEA stream through another port would be nice.  I'm not a programmer but I suspect it might not
be that hard to code?        Kurt KC9LDH