[Xastir] Just a Thank You

W. T. Jones wn3lif at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 22:09:52 EST 2014

I have never posted a question on the list but I have been reading and
reading as things have gone by.

I have Xastir running on Ubuntu 12.04 and it has been great experience. It
was built from the CVS repositories by following the instructions on the
Wiki and mailing lists. It speaks, it chimes, and it runs and runs without
any problems.

The one thing that I wanted it to do was use Satellite images instead of
the supplied maps and I wanted the overlays to work. That part was the
hardest even with the excellent information that I found using Google. I
finally got the maps from Mapquest to work but just couldn't get the Tiger
Map 2009 overlays to work. I spent many hours since 1/1/2014 trying to get
it the overlays to display. I have to say I learned a lot about how Xastir
treats the maps in the maps directory and how the Map reindex works. It
really is a a fantastic program.

Last night after hacking away for so long I went back to the instructions
about the Tiger Maps. And I read them again. Voile' and there was the
problem. Seems that you have to unzip the maps before Xastir knows what to
do with them. I did that and boing! There were the overlays. Not as pretty
as I want them but now I can go figure out how to diddle with the dbfawk
files.

After that I'll move it to my beaglebone and see what trouble I can get
into there.

I just wanted to thank all of the people on the Xastir list. Both for
asking questions and providing answers. They are stimulating and thought
provoking and usually lead to a better understanding of how this great
program works. And if I keep reading I find that my questions get answered.
Thanks again to all of you.

Regards,

W.T.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark;
professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the
user." Theodore Roosevelt - An Autobiography, 1913
"If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front
of them" - Sorry I don't know who said it but I like it.
"If the Mountain was smooth then you couldn't climb it."
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats." H.L. Menckin