[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 98, Issue 9

Stephen Black kb1chu at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 09:37:48 EST 2014

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:28:19 -0500 From: Stephen Black
<kb1chu at aol.com> To: xastir at lists.xastir.org Subject: Re: [Xastir]
Xastir Digest, Vol 98, Issue 8 Message-ID: <52E93A33.7020001 at aol.com>
the Apt get install feature to get Xastir. and when I looked in the
"about" box it did not list the Festival libraries.I am a newbe with
this stuff and am amazed I got this far. Thanks for your help! I would
be very happy to find a version with the proper files to use this
feature. I have seen people trying to figure it out but have seen no
answers except to add the files but I have no idea what files to add.
Steve KB1CHU On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, John Gorkos wrote:
>>> Did you compile Xastir from scratch, are you using the one from the debian
>>> repository, or the one from aprs-alert.net?
>>>
>>> The one I compiled (on aprs-alert.net) doesn't have Festival compiled in.  I
>>> can add it, if you need it.
>> Do Help->About and look at the "Libraries Used:" line.  It should say Festival if it was compiled in.
>>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:11:41 -0500
> From: Stephen black <KB1CHU at AOL.COM>
>
> Just to be sure you know. I am using a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian from a
> NOOBS file. I would really like a compiled program with all the bells
> and whistles that I can get. I want to make a couple of these Pi and
> radio combos for a couple of ham friends. I have been looking for this
> for a couple weeks and decided to go to the source and am glad i did.
> Steve KB1CHU
>

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:06:21 -0500
> From: Stephen black <KB1CHU at AOL.COM>
>

> I am using Rasbian from NOOBS. Xastir is running OK and Festival server
> is too. I loaded the sound files to get Audio alarms working and they
> do. When I open  configure then speech the choices are greyed out. I am
> a new Linux user and have searched the web for a fix to no avail. I have
> a real need to have the text to speech feature working. Thanks Steve KB1CHU
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:20:17 -0500
> From: John Gorkos <jgorkos at gmail.com>
>> I would really like a compiled program with all the bells and
>> whistles that I can get. I want to make a couple of these Pi and radio combos
>> for a couple of ham friends. I have been looking for this for a couple weeks
>> and decided to go to the source and am glad i did. Steve KB1CHU
>> Speaking of going to the source (cue evil laugh here)...
>>
>> Have you thought about compiling Xastir from sources?  Perhaps someone on here who has done so can help you out directly.  By compiling it yourself you gain the ability to compile in what you need, and only what you need, as well as gain the ability to upgrade to the latest Xastir version at will.
>>
>> I have a Pi at work but haven't compiled Xastir on it, so I won't be much help.  It's all Linux though, so between apt-get and the README.CVS file you theoretically have access to the info you need.
>

> Did you compile Xastir from scratch, are you using the one from the
> debian repository, or the one from aprs-alert.net?
>
> The one I compiled (on aprs-alert.net) doesn't have Festival compiled
> in.  I can add it, if you need it.
>
> John Gorkos
>
> On 1/28/14, 1:06 PM, Stephen black wrote:
>>> I am using Rasbian from NOOBS. Xastir is running OK and Festival server
>>> is too. I loaded the sound files to get Audio alarms working and they
>>> do. When I open  configure then speech the choices are greyed out. I am
> [...]
I just got a chance to get back to Xastir as I had very important work
to do (playing Grampy). I want you all to know how easy it was to do
this with your expert help and get Xastir running the way I wanted it
to. I now have a system that announces calls Text to speech and still
have the built in option of alarms. Thanks to all especially John who
added a binary overnight to get me going. What a great group! Steve KB1CHU