[Xastir] Raspberry Pi with Xastir

Kris Wotipka kris at wotipka.com
Tue Jan 28 04:01:12 EST 2014

Just my nickel,

I have been running a pi now for about 3 months.  It has the TNCxPi
daughter board on it as well as the Edimax Thumbnail Wifi dongle and a
USB to RS232 converter that is plugged into a KPC3.  Xasistr is
monitoring the TNCxPi and I login via Chicken of the VNC (OSX) and a
tight VNC server (serial to TNCxPi).  I use the ax25 stack with I don't
remember what now on the KPC3 (it's late here). That listens to the ISS
downlink freq and logs packets for some sat data I am tracking.

Long story short, the whole mess is run off of a 12V cigarette adapter I
got from Lowes.  Just tapped it into the same 12VDC that runs the radio
on the TNCxPi.

I also have a Pi that is running the AirPi daughter board and same wifi
that has been running about the same time off of a Lowes USB 2A/1A dual
output wall wart.

Both sell for around $8 and I have never put a voltmeter on either to
see what they are actually putting out.  The only thing I have had
issues with is the NooElec SDR dongles.  If they are on a USB extension,
they seem to crap out.  Or if you have them mixed in with some low speed
devices (keyboards, mice, etc) power or not, they don't seem to like
that either.

Yet another Pi has been running dump1090 for about a month now with just
the RTL and thumbnail wifi on the same type of Lowes USB PS.

So, I guess you could say I like those PS units.

kw
KD5QYV