[Xastir] Window Sizing and Shortcuts

russo at bogodyn.org russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 3 14:00:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 10:46:55AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jason at ke4nyv.com> flavor, containing:
>    Unfortunately, the most important windows "Station", "Timing", ect are the
>    ones that I can't access the buttons on.  Is FVWM something that I can
>    install in Debian Wheezy or is it something that is built into particular
>    X-Windows interfaces?

FVWM is a window manager that can certainly be installed in Wheezy, but
getting it to run and play nice with the other parts of your desktop
environment may be a challenge (I run fvwm on my BSD box, and don't run any
part of GNOME there, but on my Ubuntu laptop have not bothered to change from
the default window manager (metacity)).

https://wiki.debian.org/WindowManager

See especially the line at the end that says "Window Managers must
not be confused with Desktop Environments" for additional confusion.

See http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/ (question 2.8) for some hints
about getting fvwm to work as GNOME's window manager (assuming you're
using GNOME).  If you're using a different desktop environment, you might
have to resort to Google.  Unless you luck out and find someone here who
has done it on Wheezy.

Full-blown desktop environments may be overkill for small-screen systems
like you're using (which is why Curt used it on his).   But FVWM is pretty
old-school (as are Curt and I), so it might not be the perfect fit for you.
The main thing that is useful about it for this applicaiton is that you can
define a "virtual desktop" that is larger than your physical screen, and when
you move the mouse off the edge of the screen it moves to a different part of
the virtual desktop.  That can help when a window pops up that is larger than
the physical screen --- it'll just occupy a different part of the virtual
desktop.