[Xastir] Online Maps selections needing attention before next release.

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 20:25:15 EDT 2014

On 06/10/2014 05:45 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM, David A Aitcheson
> <david.aitcheson at gmail.com <mailto:david.aitcheson at gmail.com>>wrote:
>
>     Okay everyone; we have a release about to drop and we might as
>     well FIX
>     SOME PROBLEMS that have languished way to long!
>
>     Specifically some of the online map ".geo" files that are built in to
>     the program that DO NOT work; such as:
>
>           Online/CanadaTopo250k               (currently only
>     aplaceholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>           Online/CanadaTopo50k                (currently only
>     aplaceholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>           Online/OSM_tiled_osmarender
>           Online/OSM_tiled_skiing
>           Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_0_relief
>           Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_1_contour
>           Online/OSM_tiled_topOSM_2_features
>           Online/TXRadar                      (points
>     tohttp://mesonet.tamu.eduwhich appears to be abandoned)
>           Online/USRadar                      (points
>     tohttp://mesonet.tamu.eduwhich appears to be abandoned)
>           Online/WMSRadar                     (points
>     tohttp://mesonet.tamu.eduwhich appears to be abandoned)
>           Online/terraserver-reflectivity     (currently only
>     aplaceholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>           Online/terraserver-topo             (currently only a
>     placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>           Online/terraserver-urban            (currently only a
>     placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>           Online/terraserver                  (currently only a
>     placeholderfile in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps)
>
>     I remember a discussion thread that some of the "OSM_tiled_*" are
>     possibly no longer available from a while ago; should we consider
>     dropping those map "geo" files from the source and thus clean up the
>     maps presentation view for newer and future users?
>
>     The same should be considered for all of the "Placeholder" .geo files
>     and the MesoNet related Radar.geo files in my opinion.
>

> I agree - also the 4 non-tiled geo's starting with
> online_osmarender_cloudemade - I understand cloudemade is no more.
> The non-functioning choices have been that way for quite a while now,
> so IMO they might as well be deleted.
>
> Regards,
> Lee - K5DAT

On further investigation I agree with Lee K5DAT that the
"OSM_cloudmade_*.geo" files should also be removed.

Thus, I propose that if no objections are made or solutions are proposed
(other than the Radar solution that I propose below)in the next
approximate 24 hours _DEADLINE BEING 2359 UTC ON 11 JUNE 2014_ that the
following files be stricken from the Xastir CVS tree:

    CanadaTopo250k.geo
    CanadaTopo50k.geo
    OSM_cloudmade_1.geo
    OSM_cloudmade_2.geo
    OSM_cloudmade_5.geo
    OSM_cloudmade_998.geo
    OSM_cloudmade_999.geo
    OSM_tiled_osmarender.geo
    OSM_tiled_skiing.geo
    OSM_tiled_topOSM_0_relief.geo
    OSM_tiled_topOSM_1_contour.geo
    OSM_tiled_topOSM_2_features.geo
    terraserver.geo
    terraserver-reflectivity.geo
    terraserver-topo.geo
    terraserver-urban.geo
    TXRadar.geo
    USRadar.geo
    WMSRadar.geo

This leaves us with just two items in the
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online folder on a Linux system.

As a replacement for USRadar.geoI propose the following text for a file
called "latest_radaronly.geo"

    #[latest_radaronly - fixed url from srh.noaa.gov to
    radar.weather.gov by K1KWP - 2012-09-12]
    #[latest_radaronly - produced from .gfw file by K1KWP - 2006-07-18]
    #URL http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/Conus/RadarImg/latest_radaronly.gif
    URL http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/RadarImg/latest_radaronly.gif
    TIEPOINT 0 0 -127.6204 50.4066
    TIEPOINT 3400 1600 -66.5179 21.6525
    IMAGESIZE 3400 1600
    REFRESH 720

This geo file is just one of a much larger set of files that have been
created and updated by Kevin W Paetzold K1KWP.

I have this placed in my directory structure at
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ridge but it could just as well go in the
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online folder.

Curt, I kindly request that you make these commits once the embargo has
passed and any other updates that Tom Russo has pending are applied
provided his updates are not going to be offset by the updates that I am
proposing.

That is all that I can think of at this time.

73
Dave
KB3EFS

--