[Xastir] Make error Ubuntu 14.04

Ryan Stark ryan at kj6vvz.com
Wed Jun 18 01:11:50 EDT 2014

On 06/17/2014 05:35 PM, Ryan Stark wrote:
> Yes, it would be:
> ./configure CFLAGS="-fPIC" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"
>
> using -fPIC for the whole build is suboptimal, I'll try and figure out how to fix it tonight.
>
> -Ryan
>
> On June 17, 2014 2:50:52 PM MST, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Ryan Stark <ryan at kj6vvz.com> wrote:
>>

>>>   ---
>>> ​ snip---​
>>>

>>> As a broad work around I did what the compiler suggested and did:
>>> make clean
>>> ../configure CPPFLAGS="-fPIC -I/usr/include/geotiff"
>>> make
>>>
>>> and as expected the error goes away but then all of the executables
>> are
>>> PIC enabled64
>>> AMD64 requires shared libraries to be compiled with -fPIC, ia32 does
>> not
>>> thus you don't see the error on your 32bit ATOM box.
>>>
>>> It looks like this topic came up on the list last June as well:
>>> http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2013-June/thread.html#21654
>>> "[Xastir] More Kubuntu 13 map problems"
>>>

>> ​yes, I forgot about that one.  The user's solution in that case
>> according
>> to his message was...
>>
>> ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff" CFLAGS=-fPIC"​
>>
>> ​Hmm, I copy/pasted the above from Jim's message from last year, but it
>> looks like it could be missing a set of double quotes?
>>
>> ​Lee - K5DAT
Looks like for debian based distros we grab the GraphicsMagick cflags
and build with those to be compatile.
On my amd64 ubuntu vm those look like:
# GraphicsMagick-config --cflags
-fopenmp -Wall -g -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIE -fstack-protector --param
ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Wformat-security
-Werror=format-security -O2 -Wall -pthread

I was able to build after using those flags:
./configure CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff $(GraphicsMagick-config
--cflags)"

-Ryan