[Xastir] https server is now operational

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:24:48 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM,  <eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:
> amount of protection when they see a TLS-secured website.  As someone
> who has to work with all kinds of websites it's important to do things
> correctly.  If not, then why do it at all?  Also, this is *not* going to
> protect you from spammers.

Ok, that was a bit flippant of me, but I think the level of security
provided is proportionate to the data being protected in this case.
YMMV.

It will protect your wiki password from casual interception at the
coffee shop, which is important if you're bone-headed enough to use a
password that is also used to secure more important things (bank
accounts).  No it won't protect against MITM.

OTOH one reason to go ahead and get a signed certificate is that
security conscious networks (govt, many corporate networks, etc) block
sites using self-signed certs.

Jav, thanks for the pointer.  I think that will solve some problems
for me at work.

-Jason
kg4wsv