[Xastir] Trouble installing Xastir in Wheezy on Beaglebone Black

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 25 13:43:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:17:28AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jason at ke4nyv.com> flavor, containing:
> Jason,
>
> Even though I have played around with Linux for years, I am still pretty useless at finding my way around it. ?Are there any good guides for building from source? ?I know I have done this before, but I can't remember how or where I found how.

Jason is probably only suggesting that you build xastir from source, not
*all* the dependent libraries.  Xastir packages in system repositories have
a tendency to be *extremely* stale --- the package maintainers typically
use only release tarballs to build them, and most development of Xastir happens
in the very long stretches between releases.  Grabbing the bleeding-edge
code from the CVS repository is the approach most devoted Xastir users stick to.

The exact process for builiding Xastir on BBB has probably not been documented
on the wiki yet, but given that the BBB is running a variant of Debian or
Ubuntu, the instructions for those systems will probably get you close.
Take a look at the "Installation Notes" section of the wiki at www.xastir.org
to get started.

The basic process on a Debian-based system will be something like:
   apt-get install build-essential
to get compilers, system headers,  and other basic libraries, followed by
a series of "apt-get install"s for specific packages that Xastir depends on.
Once all of those are installed, building xastir is basically an exercise in
running its "configure" script with an option or two, and then a "make && sudo
make install", possibly followed by a "sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/xastir"
or "sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" if you're using kernel AX.25
networking.

Most of those packages have generic names and so the instructions for Ubuntu
or Debian will probably have the right package names.  For the handful of
packages that have a version number in their names, there might be a little
sleuthing to do.  Once you get the basic process, though, working through the
dependent libraries shouldn't be rocket surgery.  If you look through the many, many, many "HowTo:UbuntuXX.YY" pages, you'll see what package names tend
to change from one Ubuntu release to the next.  Odds are those are the same
ones you'll have to hunt down specifics on.