[Xastir] Having map problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Mar 3 23:49:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:22:32PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <joego at mcn.org> flavor, containing:
> Hi All, I'm using xastir on an old IBM laptop using ubuntu and the adobe
> fonts don't exist but it does have some alternative fonts located in the
> directory;
>
> /usr/share/fonts/X11
>
> I'm wondering how can I adjust the font path that the program uses.

You can choose alternate fonts using the "File->Configure->Fonts" menu.  This
works best if you have the "xfontsel" program installed, which lets you
select fonts graphically instead of by name.

> In addition I have a map that I downloaded from USGS web site that I
> would like to use but it's in the .pdf format. Is it possible to convert
> it into a format that's usable by xastir? Where should I locate the
> file. When I put it in the directory
>
> /usr/lcoal/share/xastir/maps/GPS
>
> the program doesn't recognize it.

Xastir does not recognize the GeoPDF format.  You have to convert it
into GeoTIFF.  There is a script installed with xastir called
"geopdf2geotiff.pl" that can do this, but it only works if you have GDAL/OGR
libraries and programs installed.