[Xastir] Having map problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Mar 4 00:58:22 EST 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:49:25PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:22:32PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <joego at mcn.org> flavor, containing:
> > Hi All, I'm using xastir on an old IBM laptop using ubuntu and the adobe
> > fonts don't exist but it does have some alternative fonts located in the
> > directory;
> >
> > /usr/share/fonts/X11
> >
> > I'm wondering how can I adjust the font path that the program uses.
>
> You can choose alternate fonts using the "File->Configure->Fonts" menu.  This
> works best if you have the "xfontsel" program installed, which lets you
> select fonts graphically instead of by name.

Oh, by the way, as of 12.04, Ubuntu unbundled the old standard fonts that
Xastir uses by default.  You can install them separately using the
"xfonts-100dpi" and "xfonts-75dpi" packages.  Throw in xfonts-misc as well.

  sudo apt-get install xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-misc

then add the new fonts to your font path:

  xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi

Then Xastir will be able to use the default fonts it comes configured with.

This was one of the annoyances I encountered when I upgraded from 10.04 LTS
to 12.04 LTS on my laptop.