[Xastir] IS to RF igating

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 23 00:02:09 EDT 2014

Noooo way I could have come up with that script.  The Egg Finder
is a nifty $90.00 kit.  Tom mentioned a fix in xastir.cnf to get
the GPS strings to be transmitted more frequently.  I've tried 3 and 4 seconds
and it seems to work.

As a quick review, the tracking solution sends NMEA strings to a receiver.
One simply plugs the receiver into Xastir like it's a run-of-the-mill USB
GPS receiver. Modifying Xastir to transmit this "cross-band" APRS packet once every 3 or 4 seconds allows me to use a D72/Garmin GPS to track it portable with a map in hand. Plus it's
easier to read a Garmin GPS in the sunlight as opposed to a laptop screen.
Remember, I'm doing this OFF the national frequency.

The laptop is good to have to record the data to save for later use. A non-ham could
use it too.  Simply monitoring the 915mhz frequency and not transmitting in the ham
band.

I'm going to see if I can get a linux distro on a Nexus 7 2013 and run Xastir there.
The receiver I'm using can be attached to a B/T module so I could send the data
wirelessly to the Nexus.  If I can get Xastir to recognize the internal GPS, I'd go ahead
and use the gps2aprs.pl script and be able to walk directly to the tracked rocket.
This solution of course wouldn't be crossband repeating so a non-Ham flyer could
use it also.

                                Kurt KC9LDH
                          (I can read but don't know how to program!)  :-)