[Xastir] IS to RF igating

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:22:04 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 22, 2014, at 2:11 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, since that script just takes the raw NMEA strings and tacks on an
> APRS
> > header, it's extraordinarily simple.
>
> I was going to say idiot simple. :). It doesn't even check for correct
> checksums, just a simple RE match to make sure it looks like a valid NMEA
> sentence.  It needs to pick out GPGGA and GPRMC sentence pairs to make a
> valid APRS position report.
>
> As Tom says it really needs to be an APRS client implementation to work
> well.  Kurt is ahead of me in implementing this, but he cheated and used
> COTS hardware while I've been busy building my own (maybe he's just
> smarter).  :)
>
> Did some looking into the Xastir server ports to refresh my memory - kind
of cool - both UDP and TCP ports.

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Server_Port

Based on the wiki article above, it appears that the perl script could be
modified to send the aprs packets to Xastir's UDP port using the
xastir_udp_client

binary.  If the to_rf flag is used, Xastir will gate packet to RF.  From
the wiki, the syntax is shown below.

xastir_udp_client localhost 2023 <callsign> <passcode> -to_rf "APRS Packet"
(I would use backticks to launch the udp client via the perl script)

OR - the script could possibly be used as is if it already sends packets to
the UDP port.  Given what is sent to the UDP port is sent out the TCP port
(at least that's what I read in the wiki), an aprs client like aprx or
aprsg could be connected to the TCP port and configured to gate everything
from the internet side to RF.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT