[Xastir] timing of a "full" position report

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:57:16 EDT 2014

This is more of a general APRS app development question, but I'd like
to know how xastir handles it, too.

If you want what I think of as a "full" position report - with
lat/lon, altitude, course and speed - you need two NMEA sentences
(GPGGA and GPRMC).

Seems to me the easy way to do this would be to watch the timestamp,
and when you get a newer timestamp, create the position report from
the most recent GGA/RMC sentences (assuming the time matches on the
two).

This would be more than good enough for a typical APRS setup, but if
I'm running at higher speeds (1Hz rate), it puts me almost a full
second behind (assuming I wait and validate the "new" sentence by
verifying the checksum).  This is probably not such a big deal (looks
a little silly to worry about now that I write it down...)

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a generally accepted way of
dealing with this, or am i thinking too hard again?

-Jason
kg4wsv