[Xastir] Offline OSM Map Data?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Sep 19 10:08:12 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 09:41:23AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <eric at christensenplace.us> flavor, containing:

> I run Xastir with OSM tiles.  As I move around on my map and zoom in and out I notice that it takes a while to load the tiles.  I think this is happening because Xastir has to download the necessary tiles.  Has anyone come up with a way to download all the maps you'll need for your area and keep them local so if you are in an area without Internet access your maps will continue to operate?

Actually, the OSM tile code DOES cache the maps it downloads, and it's not
supposed to be downloading the same ones over and over.

The code does seem to spend a lot of time thinking about downloading, though,
even when it's got all the tiles cached.  I haven't looked at the code to
see why.  It always displays "Downloading tiles..." when it gets to a new
area, and there's always something of a pause. When it's actually downloading
tiles, though,  it moves on to "Downloading tile X of Y".  If it already has
them cached it doesn't do this and skips to "Reading tiles..." directly.

It could be that the downloading code is still contacting a server and querying
whether the tile in the cache is outdated.

The cache is supposed to work if you're off line, too.   I have not tried it
in a long time, though.