[Xastir] OSM rendering server

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Sep 19 10:54:21 EDT 2014

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/11949/server-spec-for-running-osm

I run a private tile server for the entire planet in an 8GB virtual
machine with access to 4 cores on my own server.  It has the postgres DB
spread out over three 250GB SSD drives (three because I filled two and
ended up with a week's worth of trying to recover and get my updates
running again).

But running the tile server is the (relatively) easy part.  It's
building the tile server to start with that was hard.  I gave my VM 28GB
of RAM (anything less resulted in the planet import failing) and it ran
for 3+ days, yes 24x3 hours, to get the initial planet imported.  And
then another 1-2 days to catch up the deltas since that planet dump.

You can see the munin graphs of my tile server VM at the following URL
although I see that my disk access graphs aren't working (again)...

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:6360/munin/localdomain/localhost.localdomain/index.html

My under-development APRSISMO APRS client for Android only accesses
tiles from this tile server because I don't want potential coding errors
to hit the main tile servers.  This server is also my ace-in-the-hole if
APRSISCE/32's OSM tile server access is ever blocked.