[Xastir] OSM rendering server

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Sep 19 11:12:05 EDT 2014

On 9/19/2014 11:03 AM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> bleh.  storage looks like a deal-breaker, especially for a mobile
> platform (truckputer).

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that my rendered tiles are stored on a
three-spindle (virtual) RAID array that I also managed to fill up the
other day while the updates were down because I had filled up the SSDs.
It's not a "set and forget" undertaking.

> Have you experimented with subsets of the planet, e.g. CONUS or
> smaller (SE, NE, etc)?

Given the time and resources required, I focused solely on the whole
planet because I wanted to be able to serve tiles to anyone anywhere if
it became necessary.  At the time I put it together, I had received a
"bad-boy" notice from the osm tile server folks saying that my
APRSISCE/32 application was in the top 10 tile consumers.  I replied
back to them explaining that their terms had changed after I had
deployed (thanks to them having a wiki with publicly visible history)
and that I was following all of the guidelines that existed at the
time.  They haven't bothered me since, but I still wonder just how much
load that app is presenting to their servers.

http://bit.ly/YYthPL