[Xastir] Offline OSM Map Data?

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 19 18:52:14 EDT 2014

On Fri, 9/19/14, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xastir] Offline OSM Map Data?
 To: "Xastir - APRS client software discussion" <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
 Date: Friday, September 19, 2014, 11:59 AM

 On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Eric
 H. Christensen wrote:

 I run Xastir with OSM tiles.  As I move around on my map
 and zoom in and out I notice that it takes a while to load
 the tiles.  I think this is happening because Xastir has to
 download the necessary tiles.  Has anyone come up with a
 way to download all the maps you'll need for your area
 and keep them local so if you are in an area without
 Internet access your maps will continue to operate?

 Yes.  Instead of using the
 tiles, download the OSM Shapefiles.  From Cloudmade I
 think.  Works great, is fast, and the storage is only what
 you need for the vector information, not images.  Xastir
 support Shapefiles natively.

 It's been a while since I've downloaded
 them, so I'm not sure if Cloudmade shapefile extracts
 are still around.  If not, perhaps someone else is doing
 the shapefile extracts.

 --

 Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
 APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html

Here were instructions that Lee sent me some time ago.  I don't believe that CloudMade is around anymore.
Anyone have an updated alternative as to how to download and use a portable map option for Xastir
for "off grid" use?   Kurt KC9LDH

Someone emailed me offline about using the OSM shapefiles not long
ago.  Below is what was in my reply:

(Just substitute minnesota for your your state).  You can download as
many states as you need.

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/americas/northern_america/united_states/minnesota#downloads_breadcrumbs/

The shapefile download toward the bottom will get you a set of files
to unzip.  What I do is create a new folder under
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps called "Offline".  Then I create another
folder under that called something like "osm-shape".  Then I create a
folder for each state under osm-shape such as "MN".  So you will want
to copy the applicable map files for Minnesota to
/usr/local/share/maps/Offline/osm-shape/MN.  For other states, just
create a different folder under osm-shape for each of those.  Of
course you can create a different directory naming scheme if you want.

What are the applicable files?  There are dbfawk files in Xastir that
support the following:

administrative, coastline, highway, natural, poi, and water.  You need
to copy the files that have extensions of "dbf", "shp", and "shx' into
your maps area.  So for example, for Minnesota, you would copy or move
minnesota_administrative.dbf, minnesota_administrative.shp, and
minnesota_administrative.shx into the MN map folder. Then copy the
files with the same 3 extensions for "minnesota_coastline",
"minnesota_highway" and so on.  You will end up with 18 files per
state.

Then in Xastir, go to Map - Configure - Reindex all Maps.  The new
offline osm folders should show up, and you can either select an
individual state or the directory above that for all states.  Things
should work similarly to the Tiger maps once you get them into the
right place.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT