[Xastir] Offline OSM Map Data?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:59:37 EDT 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Eric H. Christensen wrote:

> I run Xastir with OSM tiles.  As I move around on my map and zoom in and out I notice that it takes a while to load the tiles.  I think this is happening because Xastir has to download the necessary tiles.  Has anyone come up with a way to download all the maps you'll need for your area and keep them local so if you are in an area without Internet access your maps will continue to operate?

Yes.  Instead of using the tiles, download the OSM Shapefiles.  From Cloudmade I think.  Works great, is fast, and the storage is only what you need for the vector information, not images.  Xastir support Shapefiles natively.

It's been a while since I've downloaded them, so I'm not sure if Cloudmade shapefile extracts are still around.  If not, perhaps someone else is doing the shapefile extracts.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html